Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Food in South Korea

Life in South Korea is absolutely amazing. There are so many wonderful things about living here, but I think one of the best things has been getting healthier. The food here is fabulous -- always interesting, to say the least!!


Friday (Feb 6th), Daniel and I went out to dinner with some of our friends in Sokcho. We had bibimbap at a restaurant here. It's a rice dish with tons of different ingredients -- mostly veggies and seaweed -- mixed with a partially cooked (sometimes not cooked, sometimes totally cooked) egg on top. You're supposed to mix all the ingredients together and add hot pepper paste. There are also several side dishes served with the bibimbap.


It was delicious!! I've had at least three different kinds of bibimbap so far in Korea. I love them all! :-) Here are some pictures for your enjoyment:




This is the bibimbap. Here, it's served in a very fancy fashion! It was all wonderful and delicious. Sometimes, the ingredients come on top of the rice, sometimes the egg is totally uncooked, and sometimes there are different ingredients. It's always a surprise in Korea! :-) You can see a couple of side dishes above the bibimbap. The one on the top left is a sweet, mayo-ey corn and veggie mixture. The top right is a white kimchi.






Ahhh, the bibimbap spread! You can see the white kimchi and the sweet mayo-ey corn thing. To the left of the corn is regular kimchi -- I know you're jealous, JL! :-) To the left of that is a dyed fermented radish, I think. Above that is a hard-boiled egg. To the right of that, I really have no clue. The small round bowl right under that is the hot pepper paste. To the right of that is a DELICIOUS cold noodle-y thing. Yum!








To the upper right of the cold noodles is a tofu thing. Under that is a tray of three things to add to the bibimbap. Pretty sure they're different kinds of seaweed. :-) To the right of that is my Coke! Yum!
















Daniel loves his bibimbap! He's stirring away!! :-)



The stirred (and mostly eaten) bibimbap.


Food (and exploring new foods) is such a huge part of our life here! Next time, I'll post on something more meaningful. Just thought you might enjoy a culinary excursion today. :-)

2 comments:

  1. You had me on the healthy thing until you mentioned the COKE!!! :)

    You are right, I am envious. The food looks fabulous. Glad you are enjoying it. You gotta give some credit to the doc who took out your annoying gallbladder.

    I emailed you guys to let you know I got a webcam. I'll try to install it later and then connect with you guys on a time for face to face skype.

    Later
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bibimbap ........Looks absolutely delicious to me! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! And keep sharing pictures and descrips with us....we can pretend we are actually there with you!

    ReplyDelete