Friday, March 27, 2009

fun times . . .

as much as we have gotten used to being in korea there are still some things that we just don't quite understand since it is still a different country, and we are foreigners in a foreign land.
so because of this it leads to some funny stories, so here is one.

one morning i was getting ready for work and i noticed that there was a button in our bedroom that i hadnt noticed before. it looked like this:



we have been in the apartment for months and i was really intrigued as to what this button was since i never noticed it before. the button is only about six inches off the ground, and why would there be a button if you arent supposed to push it? so i pushed it with my big toe!

all of a sudden a ringing alarm bell started to go off! logic being at the forefront of my mind i surmised that if i pushed the button and a noise started, then if i pushed it again it would turn off. i was wrong.

tova was getting ready in another room and ran in the bedroom and worriedly asked what was going on. i told her i pushed the button with my big toe. she was pretty annoyed with me (almost upset) she said that i shouldn't push buttons in a foreign country if i didnt know what it did.
i logically told her that they wouldnt install a button if it wasnt meant to be pushed. seriously, that would be cruel to the button's purpose in life, it was made to be pushed!
she then walked (ran?)to the living room and pushed some buttons on our apartment phone and the alarm went off.
tova said something like "you might have called the police or fire department . . ." and i dismissed her cause why would a button in our bedroom be linked to the police?

she still wasn't fully happy, but she was ok and went to school. when she got there she asked her co-teacher to explain why there was a button in our bedroom because i pushed it.
her co-teacher (not so calmly) explained that it was a button to call the fire department, and that we should NEVER push it! the reason why its so close to the ground is because since smoke rises you should be on the ground. (makes total sense)
so then tova had all the ammo and came home and told me to never push any buttons EVER, even if i did know what they were linked to! all i had for a response was to eat crow and to say "yes dear" with my head hung low in shame :-p

so, again, as much as we think we know whats going on there are still things that trip us up every now and then, and will possibly involve the authorities :-p

moral of the story: always listen to tova :-D

5 comments:

  1. Ummm...Daniel ~ ~ is "OOPS" enough said ?

    I love stories with a moral ! :-)

    L H & P - always !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting at my desk trying to write a paper for school and am totally bored. Your story provided a bit of humor to my day. I love it! I'd say yes - always listen to Tova, but I probably would have pressed the button too. :-)

    Miss you two! Hope you're still loving live in S. Korea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Daniel, you're like your Aunt Cathy. We bought a brand new car way back and on the drive down home, on the highway, I opened the glove compartment and found a button. What's this button for, I asked your Uncle Craig, as I was pushing the unknown button. Up flew the trunk lid at 70 mph! I make sure to not push buttons unless I know what they're for now. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an "alarming" development. Your moral "rings" true. The room was "abuzz" with the ramifications. Sometimes men are "tone" deaf to their wives. Thanks for letting me "chime" in.

    Very punny story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude! That's one of my two-year-old's rules: We don't push buttons if we don't know what they do.

    Did you also go to work? Do you have any idea if the fire department showed up?

    ReplyDelete