Friday, December 26, 2008

getting to work after a blizzard = fun!!!

(sorry for the length of this post, it is worth reading though . . .)

My time to work these past couple of days has been rather interesting to say the least.
I was waiting at the corner and there were about 500 million people waiting there as well . . . and they kept on coming! (because of the snow storm) The bus came and a ton of people got on and there still were a lot of people waiting. People were making the turn down the street/hill where we live and they were coming very close to hitting people, it was SCARY! Then I realized that everyone was walking down the street (against the flow of traffic) to get in front of me to catch any of the cabs! So I started walking and got in front of some people and FINALLY talked to a cabbie. He told me NO! the next cabbie pantomimed to me that I needed to catch a taxi on the other side of the street since he was headed in the opposite direction. So I crossed the street and waited. And I waited, and I waited. I was seriously getting worried (45 minutes of waiting) when an suv stopped and asked if I was going to sokcho! Now for those of you who don’t know . . . the city I live in is Sokcho! It was an suv filled with people that I thought looked like the people I worked with so I got in! seriously, I got in to a car filled with people who I thought possibly maybe looked like the people I worked with. After a couple of minutes of being in the car I realized that I didn’t fully ask them if they were going to my school, and I started to doubt weather or not I worked with these people! I started to freak out a little bit. I thought that the car was headed the right way, but at the same time I had no clue, and the doubts about the people started to creep in to my assurance that we were going the right way to school! At this point the anxiety and stress started to build, and I started to get really uncomfortable with my current predicament. (all this while we were driving down streets where at best there was a solid inch of ice covering the roads at best, and at worst 8 inches of SOLID ICE or so in hilly and mountainess sokcho). We let one person out and kept driving. Then as we were driving the driver spotted someone he recognized and offered her a ride. When she turned her head I realized that she was one of the ladies that I work with in the English department at school! We continued our drive to school, all anxiety now gone, and I got to school safe and sound.
Everyone parked at the bottom of the hill leading to my school. There was a truck trying to get up the hill and it wasn’t working that well. He was pretty much going backwards. . . eek!






That was tuesday . . .
Now for wednesdays adventure . . .

I saw how hard it was to catch a cab on wednesday:
(i wish that picture was true!)

so I left for work even earlier and gave myself well over an hour to get to work. I woke up thinking that I am going to outsmart the weather and the taxis and get to work, not just on time, but get to work early. I leave the apartment at 7:40 with a sense of pride. (I start at 9) I get to the main intersection and start looking for a taxi. I wave some down, but they all have people in them. Then I see Tova walking to work. She left 20 minutes after me! We say hi, and she realizes that I am going to be waiting a while to get to work.
(side note: I would normally ride a bike to work, that is going to be my primary source of transportation to and from work, but with the blizzard leaving at least 3 feet of snow there is NO WAY that I can bike. There are buses that go close to my school, but I don’t know which ones which only leaves a taxi to get me to and from work)
I am waiting and waiting, the whole time almost getting hit by cars, buses and bulldozers (no joke) when a car stops and a women gets out. I HAFTA BE THE LUCKIEST MAN ALIVE! The women who gets out is one of the teachers at my school and she recognized me. She asked if I was waiting for the bus, and I said I was waiting for a taxi or a bus, just something to get me to the school! She said that there were quite a few students from my school waiting for the bus so she asked one of them how long he had been waiting, he said 45 minutes! I thought I had it bad since I was waiting for 35 minutes! He said that he called his parents and his parents were going to drive him to work and offered us both a ride! Seriously, I could not be luckier! (Tova said I should play the lotto!)
Then when I got to work I had to walk up the steep icy hill to get to the school. All the schoolboys, who were lucky to get there, were hanging out of the windows watching everyone walking up the hill. When someone would slip or fall you would hear them cheering! Ode to be 15 again, cause I would be doing the same thing!
So that’s been getting to work in snowy icy Sokcho. I am hoping that I figure out a better way to get to work then gambling on a ride from strangers!

4 comments:

  1. Awww man Daniel... I could not help but laugh while reading your post. I mean, thank God you have not been killed yet by the bulldozers! hahahaha! Please let's try and do some research at the school and see if there's another way to get to work. Ay ay ay.... I miss you both! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. just so you know, i read this. i am an awesome sister who keeps her promises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youzah! You definitely need to find a safer / more efficient way to get to school!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you guys are doing well. Ava misses you dearly! We still sing her the Ava Bava song that you made up.

    - Dan Marini

    ReplyDelete