Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We're actually going...

It's sinking in. By this time next week, we will be on the plane to South Korea.

This is a strange feeling. Very surreal! Daniel and I have moved away from people before. I know it's going to be just fine. Really, you won't be able to tell much difference. I can't see people as much as I'd like, and will probably see them just as many times when we're in Korea.

I have so many things to miss. I have a GREAT relationship with people at work. I love the kids I work with--I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow! I will miss my Jacksonville friends so much. I'll miss my church and the sweet kids there. I will so miss my family too!

Even that doesn't seem as tough as I'd expected. Getting used to a whole new country just seems daunting right now.

As stressed and as sad as I am, I am almost equally excited. I can't WAIT for this new adventure! I can't wait to learn more about a new culture, grow as a teacher, and be independent. I am so excited! Most of the people Daniel and I have talked to about this have been super excited--some of them even jealous! It's going to be fun.

All in all, I'm really excited. I can't wait until Daniel and I can post FROM Korea with pictures and information about our new life.

Thank you all for coming with us on this adventure.

:-)

4 comments:

  1. I know you have fears about the all the newness you will be experiencing, and fears about leaving people behind. I pray you have an easy transition to what looks to be an exciting opportunity for your lives. I am one of those a little bit jealous of you, actually..

    One thing that I haven't paid much attention to is churches over there -- will you find a good church home there? I don't know why I didn't think about it until now. We did see a methodist church there, but you are going to have to find an english-speaking church that believes as you do, to feel like you really fit in. The pic we found had korean writing on the outside, so their services may be in korean.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Hey ~ I wouldn't miss "sharing" this adventure with you and Daniel for anything ! :-) It is only natural to be a mixture of stressed-sad-excited ! But, a lot of the natural fear and trepidation of the unknown will be alleviated during your orientation period by the people who are trained to indoctrinate all new-comers. They're going to want you to feel secure and knowledgeable !

    And now, to the "info"mercial: The average temperature in Dec. and Jan. will be 40 high, 25 low. SO, new coats were a good investment !

    Until later, L H & P, always, Gramma D.

    P.S. "Sokchoisms": 'weather' - "nalsshi"; 'cold weather' - "cheuen nalsshi".

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably already in the "to be approved" comment queue, but Pat has found quite a number of churches in the area, and it appears that some or many have english-language services. So it's seems primarily a matter of finding one where your theology matches! Excellent. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers are with you for safe journey to Miami, and a nice visit with family there; also, as you travel further to meet up with Jesse and Dale.

    I have semi-good news and really good news. There IS a STARBUCKS ~ ~ but, it is in Seoul! (4 to 5 hours bus trip from Sokcho). BUT, in Sokcho, a favorite food available is ICE CREAM ! Told you it was really good news ! :-)

    As always, my L H & P, Gramma D

    P.S. Sokcho'isms: 'coffee' - "keopi"; 'ice cream' - "patbingsu"

    ReplyDelete